What People Are Saying about the new Operation World. . .
book, Operation World is one of the most significant books ever published
for missions. For the mission leader having all this material on a CD so that
it can be searched and utilized on the spot enhances Operation World and
makes it one of the most useful tools in the mission leaders' strategy arsenal."
Paul E. McKaughan, President and CEO, EFMA
"The definitive source
for Church missions committees. It is quoted as the authority when it comes to
deciding the allocation of prayer and support . . ."
Jim Reapsome, Former Editor EMQ & World Pulse
". . . When I was a mobilizer
for TEAM we received a good number of applicants for service where the applicant
cited Operation World as the means God used to call them into missions . . ."
Mike Pollock, Professor of Missions at Dallas Theological Seminary
". . . the most powerful tool in communicating the development of the evangelical movement as a worldwide phenomenon. . ."
Dwight Gibson, North American Director of the World Evangelical Fellowship
". . .Operation World has helped tens of thousands of believers develop a balanced perspective, create focussed vision, fuel informed prayer, and escalate strategic involvement in global mission. . ."
T. V. Thomas, Chairman of the North American Council of South Asian Christians
". . . the prayer-encyclopedia of God at work in the world."
Paul Borthwick, Senior Associate of Development Associates International
". . . I consider this volume essential for anyone who cares about people around the world. . . "
Ron Blue, President of CAM International
". . .Every Christian
should be praying for the world outside their own borders. And to do that intelligently,
I know of no resource as helpful as Operation World. . . "
Ajith Fernando, National Director, Youth For Christ, Sri Lanka
". . .In the best
missiological tradition, Operation World offers . . . information and motivation
for prayer. If Paul the Apostle would come today I am sure he would use it!. .
Samuel Escobar, Missiologist, Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary
. . Because of the visionary power on every page . . ., we know more than what
to pray about. We have learned what to pray toward. Our prayers have been enlarged
so that we pray huge, kingdom-sized prayers for entire nations. . . "
Steve Hawthorne, director of Waymakers
". . . For those interested
in praying for the cause of Christ all around the world, there is no resource
to be compared with this. Full of useful facts, Operation World is conveniently
arranged and focused on the right kinds of things to help Christians understand
the church around the world, and to pray faithfully, intelligently, and passionately.
. . "
Don Carson, Professor of New Testament Studies, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
2001/08/31 -- BRIGADA TODAY - SPECIAL OP. WORLD
Compiled by Doug Lucas, Team Expansion, Louisville, KY, USA
In this issue...
1) ANNOUNCING: THE 2001 OPERATION WORLD CD-ROM!
2) THIS IS MORE THAN "YOUR FATHER'S OPERATION WORLD"!
3) CARRY OPERATION WORLD WITHOUT THE PAPER
4) HOW PRAY-ERS CAN USE OPERATION WORLD ON CD-ROM
5) IF YOU LIKE STATISTICS
6) HOW MISSION MOBILIZERS CAN USE IT
7) IT'S A THING THAT GROWS AND GROWS AND GROWS!
8) WHAT ABOUT SECURITY?
9) WHAT IF YOU WANT THE REAL PRINTED VERSION?
10) CLOSING STUFF
1) ANNOUNCING: THE 2001 OPERATION WORLD CD-ROM! -- You've heard about the new edition of Patrick Johnstone's incredible Operation World... well, the CD-ROM version created by GMI gives you an incredible view of the data... electronically! It contains the full (English language) text, as well as all maps, charts, and tables from the book; the huge Operation World research database (the same database Patrick and Jason used to create Operation World); the latest country profile information from the World Factbook; and related Web links for every country. The CD is designed as a sophisticated Web site, and runs on both Windows and Mac. It is available at the incredibly low price of $17.99 (plus shipping and tax) from GMI. More information is available on the Web at http://www.gmi.org/products/owcd.htm or contact Lorri <email@example.com> or by telephone: 719-531-3599 ext.599 or by fax: 719-548-7459.
2) THIS IS MORE THAN "YOUR FATHER'S OPERATION WORLD"! -- I remember the very first Operation World I saw... way back in 1981 or so, I believe, and, wow, was I bowled over by the research and the care that Patrick Johnstone had invested in the data. Well guess what -- that hasn't changed a bit. Sure... maybe there's more raw data in one of the big encyclopedic works on missions... but then... this one doesn't cost an arm and a leg, either. And what's more, I actually think there's more practical material here than there is in the big books anyway.
3) CARRY OPERATION WORLD WITHOUT THE PAPER -- Now you don't have to carry around the big Operation World book any more! Just leave the CD in your laptop and go! Until now, my "default" CD (the one I leave in my laptop most of the time) has been Microsoft Encarta Reference Library 2002. Not so anymore. Now the Encarta CD will travel in the CD carrier pouch in my briefcase. The CD slot in my laptop will now carry Op. World. Hands down.
4) HOW PRAY-ERS CAN USE OPERATION WORLD ON CD-ROM -- Suppose you're a dedicated pray-er. When you get up each morning, just hit "Start|Programs|Operation World 2001". When the CD opens, it'll already be focused on the prayer request data for the particular day you open it! Click on the Summary to get the big picture, or get close-ups of the Geography, Peoples, Economy, Politics, Religion, and Challenges for Prayer. We're all familiar with the Op. World prayer approach... one country per day... but this CD makes it so much more useful -- and lightweight! :-)
5) IF YOU LIKE STATISTICS -- You're in luck. It's loaded! As mentioned above, you get the same database files that Patrick and company used to make the book! I mean... it's like having the international census information at your fingertips. Plus, I think they must have enclosed the entire CIA Factbook for each country too. So on your next trip to Michigan, take along a friend to drive . . . and you read CIA reference material for Portugal -- or whatever.
6) HOW MISSION MOBILIZERS CAN USE IT -- It gets even more interesting if you're a missions mobilizer. Get this -- Patrick and the GMI folks have given you permission in advance to utilize these resources in your newsletter or website (within reason; you can't charge more than actual cost of production... and it's a limited use policy; read the details on the CD) [GMI ed. note: this is not quite correct - extended permissions generally only apply to print publications]. Can you imagine? They've thrown the whole "let's make as much money as we can" thing out the window and shared their years of labor with the world! I love it! So you've got maps and charts, big and small -- plus links to the Operation World website! (See below)
7) IT'S A THING THAT GROWS AND GROWS AND GROWS! -- Now the really interesting part. When GMI wrote the interface with the CD, they integrated the CD with the web site in an incredibly close fashion. (In fact, sometimes I forget which one I'm viewing!) And users can add links to the website interactively!!! (They point the user to the website in tons of places.) The authors also point the user to tons of other external sites too, including the site for the particular mission organization that is being described at the time. And using the web form, it's really easy to send in errata.
8) WHAT ABOUT SECURITY? -- They've covered it. Rather than feature specifics, when talking about sensitive places, they use general principles and general examples rather than specific ones with known names or streets. And yet... every mission agency in the world must be listed in the directory.
SUBSCRIPTION --"For a free subscription to Brigada's weekly missions publication,write <firstname.lastname@example.org> or visit Brigada on the web at www.brigada.org."
NEED SUBSCRIPTION HELP? -- Write <email@example.com>
and get a real human response from our *super* volunteer Customer Relations specialists,
Don & Judy Pratt. Thanks for being part of the Brigada family!
2001/08/31 -- BRIGADA TODAY
* * * * * * *
A review from Ted Limpic of SEPAL in Brazil
The CD just arrived ... and it's GREAT!! You guys did a super job!
Conclusion: Amazing!! People are going to love this CD! And I feel privileged to be able to help partner in this project a little. The CD is wonderful!! It needs to get into the hands of as many people as possible.
|01/03/02||For comments on this web site, write firstname.lastname@example.org.||Return to GMI Home Page|