Global Mapping International
World Language Phyla/Family Mapping
Dr. Stephen Huffman
GMI Home > WLMS > WLMS user projects > Huffman
As of 3 May 2006
- PDF files have been recreated with WLMS 3.2 (15th Edition Ethnologue) with higher resolution and improved compression (better quality with smaller files).
- Data and map project download for WLMS version 3.0-3.1 (14th Edition Ethnologue) updated to fix file reference problems.
- Data and map project download for WLMS version 3.2 (15th Edition Ethnologue) added
- The PDF files are fairly large. We recommend downloading first, then opening the file in Adobe Reader. Most browsers support this with a right-click (Windows) or option-click (Mac) on the download link. See your browser's help system for details. Those with slow or unreliable connections are advised to use a download manager. We use Fresh Download.
- Maps in this series were designed to be printed on large-format (36" wide or greater) primters. Adobe Reader allows printing at smaller sizes, but text and language borders may be unreadable. Full detail may be seen by zooming in on-screen in Adobe Reader. Large format printers can be found in most cities in sign shops and larger print/copy shops. GMI's custom mapping service will also print and mail these maps in sizes up to 36 inches in the narrower dimension.
- To find a specific language, zoom into the map until language names are visible, then use Acrobat's Find (ctrl-F) function to move to the part of the map containing the language you are looking for. Name are from the 14th Edition Ethnologue; names can be looked up at www.ethnologue.com.
- Permission is granted to reprint these maps for personal, academic, or nonprofit use. For for-profit publication, contact Dr. Huffman.
Maps previewed on this page and available for download were produced with version 3.2 of the World Language Mapping System (WLMS), corresponding to the 15th Edition of the Ethnologue, and version 3.1 of GMI's Seamless Digital Chart of the World (SDCW). ArcGIS project files and classification data tables are available for both WLMS 3.2 and WLMS 3.0-3.1 (14th Edition Ethnologue).
The World's Language Phyla
Languages of Africa
Languages of the Horn of Africa
Languages of China
detail from map above:
The Eurasiatic Language Phylum
Languages of the Indian Subcontinent
Languages of Southeast Asia
Languages of Sudan
Classification Data and ArcGIS project files
Download classification data table and GIS project files used to produce the maps above. Classification table is .DBF format, importable by most spreadsheet and database programs. GIS project files are in .MXD format for use with ESRI's ArcGIS 9.x and require GMI's World Language Mapping System [WLMS] and Seamless Digital Chart of the World [SDCW] data products.
- To use these files to produce maps with ArcGIS, WLMS, and SDCW (assuming all are installed), save the .zip to c:\GMI_Geodata\projects (if the WLMS and SDCW are installed in their default locations), then right click on the zip file and choose "expand to here" using WinZip). You should end up with all files in a folder c:\GMI_Geodata\projects\huffman. Simply open the ArcMap project files to use. If you have WLMS but not DCW, data for some layers will be missing and will be marked with a red ! in the ArcMap Table of Contents.
- An earlier version of the version 3.1 zip file contained project files with incorrect file paths. These are corrected in the current version.
Map Produced with a WLMS Prototype (World Databank II Base Map)
The IndoEuropean Language Family